Sunday, March 4, 2012


Beginnings

It's hard for me not to talk about diabetes.  After all, it's the first thing I think about when I get up.  "I wonder what their blood sugars are.  Oh that's right," I think to myself.  "I checked them at 3 a.m. and set the basal amount (of insulin) back by 20%.  I wonder if it worked."

I roll out of bed and wander into Little Guy's room.  "What's your blood sugar?"

"I don't know.  Do I have to wear a long-sleeved shirt today?" Little Guy isdistracted by the mundane.

"Yes, it's going to be cold today."  With persistent focus I herd him back to the main idea, "Don't forget to check your blood sugar, and remember to bring your glucometer downstairs when you come.  Both of you!"  Big Guy is in the adjoining bedroom.  He hears, but isn't listening.  I know this.  These data gathering techniques of mine I know are not effective, but after an abbreviated night of sleep, abbreviated due to finger pricks of My Guys, I've lost all creativity at 7 a.m. to muster up an effective plan to find out what anyone's blood sugar is.

"Okay, Mom," says Little Guy.

Nothing from Big Guy.  Figures.

We slip downstairs.  I move towards the coffee maker; Big Guy eases in beside me to fry up some eggs.  He's become so helpful at breakfast.

10 minutes later . . ."Have you checked your blood sugars?"  Silence.  Anybody?  Anybody?  Is Anybody listening? (A Pink Floyd melody comes to mind.)

For some reason, it doesn't seem as important to them as it does to me. . . . maybe that's why I'm starting a blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment